Skip to main content

Getting a game on the table - tiles for maps

TLDR; I put my 'Why I do this at the end.' This is how I make a quick map/terrain for a game.
Finished painted tiles, total time ~3h

With good modular terrain I can lay out my map on my table at home,  take a picture if I need it for reference or sketch out a quick map with some game notes, then pack it up and get it ready for the store. For example, I made a sewer tile set last night. I estimate I spent about one and a half hours to cut the cardboard, assemble the tiles and spray paint them as a primer.
Initial map idea before the tiles are assembled

Tonight, I am painting the tiles. The method I'm using is a quick sponge paint with some light final detail.


Painting the tiles with my totally cheap and quick setup

In the end, painting took about one and a half hours too. Three hours seems pretty good for a set that can be used multiple times, changed as needed and put away in very little space.

With this effort, I can run the sewer, put it away, run it again a different time with a new story. Modular terrain is one of the best cost-effective ways to run immersive games. Even a tileset like this that is somewhat abstract makes the game more interesting for a new player.

For story, I write quick notes on notecards. These are mostly pre-generated treasures and monster notes. The setting that I run my meet-up game in is a large city that I operate in a West Marches type of style, but I do plan and orchestrate the plot each week, so it's not a real sandbox, just different views of how people receive quests (like World of Warcraft!).

In brief, for a long time I played RPGs with a core group of people. I understood their expectations and was able to make a 'Theater of the mind' style of game work well for us. I later purchased a battle map but my use of it was fairly limited. I would do rough sketches of important features and control turn-by-turn movement. This doesn't do what I want it to anymore.

My current game time is divided into two parts: on-camera streamed games and Friendly Local Game Store (FLGS) meet-up games. In this second case, I find that game stores have a few unique prep concerns that direct my efforts.

1. I can't set the table in advance. My maps need to be able to be carried in and out, my terrain pieces need to be mobile.
2. I need to use more props to achieve a good level of immersion. Most of the gamers I am working with don't know what to expect from me. Using terrain and miniatures allows me to give them an experience similar to tabletop board games (i.e. Monopoly).
3. With more players (6-8) it helps to make sure people are aware of the game space. This helps with movement rules and keeps things fair for all. A lot of meet-up players need to become comfortable to express themselves, so a loud or pushy player can take over a combat scene.
4. Not a lot of table space. Players take up a lot space with their sheets, dice, books, etc. That doesn't leave me much room for a map. I can't do anything huge or I won't leave room for the players. Modular tiles set up easily and break down easily. If there isn't a reason for a map, I don't put anything out.
Takes up so little space!

So with all those things in mind, I also keep meet-up games short. I try not to run over 4 hours of game, including all prep and breakdown. That means that I can have a few combat and social scenes but I need to keep it tight. Unlike a home game, I can't rely on seeing the same people each week and I would like the stories to have a satisfying conclusion. So I make quick terrain.

Credit where credit is due, I get my inspiration from DM Scotty of thedmscraft, who has a Facebook group that is very good and excellent instructional videos on YouTube. The DMG also operates a web page, Facebook group and has a great YouTube channel with instructions (thedmg.info).

Comments