Skip to main content

Out in the Cold: Session 22 Reflections

The cold, icy realm at the heart of Dreysil has proved to be the site of our most terrifying and difficult encounters!
The party was clearly on edge and worried about their survival when they landed in the icy realm. It was cold; they were worried about the elements and resting outdoors. They expected another boss fight to happen any minute.
The constant snow and ice made navigation nearly impossible. The party jumped in, as usual, but found themselves unable to navigate in the storm. They blundered around until attacked and had a very tough fight against a pack of Winter Wolves. The Wolves focused on using their cold breath when the party grouped, then attacking anyone who broke formation. I felt like I focused on pack tactics and got into the Winter Wolf mindset really well here; it was a tough fight!
Yetis, however, were not as awesome. Through a wonderful random encounter roll, the party was stalked by yetis. The yetis were terrible at stealth. They also were easily distracted by a Minor Illusion. Dang yetis.
The second group of Yetis were also terrible at stealth, died quickly, generally made the party feel good about themselves.
We ended with an awesome scene where the party tried to negotiate with a young white dragon. White dragons are terribly dumb. I tried to focus on its simple desires: food and treasure. The fancy talk and slick words of the party just didn't resonate with the dragon, who fears for his continued existence. He'd rather fight and eat the party then risk punishment.
It was an awesome time. My only regret is that next week the show goes on without me; we have one week with a guest DM, which is an awesome thing, but less time with the Crew for me. :(

The Stream of Annihilation took place during this last week. As a streamer and D&Der, I was SO hyped for it! I got to watch a lot of Friday's stream and am catching up on Saturday's. It was great to see so many different people that love to stream and play in the same place. The product is cool, but I really loved the event. Being at a D&D event like this is a goal for me now.

Another week of learning about rules! I swear I have read (most of) the PHB and DMG but I continue to learn the rules better the more I play.
  1. If there is total darkness, D&D refers to this as 'heavily obscured' and you are blinded. No vision, auto-fail sight-based Perception checks.
  2. 'Lightly obscured' means that you have disadvantage on sight-based Perception.
  3. Darkvision. If you have it, you can see in dimly lit conditions. In total darkness, you treat it as 'lightly obscured.' So you cannot automatically see everything in the dark. You are better off than others, but still disadvantaged.

Comments