Skip to main content

Necromancer Doesn't Mean Evil - Session 37 Reflections

The Infinity Tower crew grew in a really interesting way this week! We've had a recent cast change with one player stopping their time with us, but we've also had a new player agree to join our table for a while. It's been exciting waiting to see what they'll do. Now we know: our new player is playing a (CG) Necromancer.

It's a really interesting character idea and set of motivations that I'm trying not to spoil or take ownership of, but I'm looking forward to seeing things develop.

Additionally, spells. Arg. The downfall of every DM creature! I don't get to play D&D often, but when I do, I play a wizard. It doesn't mean I know the spells or expect certain things. We had a fight at the end of the session that I expected to be pretty brutal but instead turned out to just be a slog, going slowly through the hit points of a stone golem. There wasn't a lot of damage done per round but the creature couldn't damage the party.

The culprit: Web. One of my favorite spells, but not something I expected to see incapacitate a CR 10 creature for such a long time. The culprit: bad Strength ability checks! I spent MANY rounds trying to break free from the web without effect. The same Web cost the monk a lot of movement attempting to keep out of the area of effect. We did some quick improv at the end to stay close to time and get things finished.

We'll start again next session in the center of an old Dwarven crypt, learning its secrets and preparing to descend into the King's Crypt beneath the Dwarven city of Taul'Khazad. I'm really looking forward to that arc, especially now!

Comments

  1. Really enjoyed the roleplay in this session. Addition of the new player via Necromancer was great! Always fun to see new characters try to establish relationships with characters who already know each other. The golem fight felt like a golem fight to me, but the force was definitely not with you on those saves. I've tried giving non-legendary creatures like that a single or of Legendary Resistances when they are soloing an entire party just to keep the tension high. It's a little cheaty, maybe, but solo monsters have it tough.

    I thought the early cut off with the ending was a great choice in that moment. Dwarven crypt is looking like it'll prove mighty interesting! Thanks for sharing, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I was really thinking about Legendary Actions for this fight! Or just about anything to make the golem better. I had a hard time deciding if I'd rather have that fight be over sooner or the golem be tougher. Sigh.
    The session overall was very positive for me. I'm really happy for our Necromancer player, who is playing his first wizard. I think he's gotten the hang of the 'control wizard' role perfectly!
    I really try to keep the schedule for the stream. I think it helps all of us with our daily routines. Plus, a cliffhanger is always a nice ending!
    Appreciate the input and the support! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment