Skip to main content

Session 39: Into the Dark

Another great session with a great group of players! I came into this session with my loosest recap ever. I barely remembered where the game was the week before, which is totally my fault. I had the events, just not a concrete order of things. Something for me to work on.

Once the group set out, they went to Taul'Khazad, the Dwarven city above the Kings' Crypt that they would be exploring. There was a brief interaction, during which I said to myself, 'You know what? 3 of 4 characters here speak Dwarfish. I need to solve this problem for right now.' With that, I threw in a Dwarven bard character to quickly cast Comprehend Languages. The wizard asked if he was a wizard (undoubtedly spellbook grinding). I gave a bard-ish explanation of the character's magic. The Dwarf-obsessed character's player asks if he is a bard, I say yes, she unloads a Bag of Holding full of ancient Dwarven texts.

This is a ruined Dwarven city. They have only oral records of their people. They live in ruins (it's getting better now) and  have forgotten most of their past. This is a set of elaborate histories. The NPC is a bard, who has just issued a statement something like 'I don't really play any instruments, I mostly tell stories.' In other words, it was an emotional moment.

All of this is backstory to why I end up stage crying for five minutes on stream. I definitely need to watch this again and see what a blubbery mess I was.

After repeated warnings of their certain doom, the party went into the King's Crypt. They have powerful magical artifacts that are driving back the magical darkness that fills the crypt. They touched a few things and were struck with necromantic energies. They also found that they aren't alone in the crypt.

There are vampires. No further qualifiers given for those thumbing their Monster Manuals. They are Dwarves, however. They were very straightforward, attacking and attempting to bite the party, save for one vampire that escaped beyond a wall of black flame. That final vampire delivered many lines, including the statement: 'All pacts are broken by the First Veil.'

The question is left unanswered at the end of the session: What is the First Veil? We will find out...

Comments

  1. Just caught up on this episode, and I really enjoyed it! There is something so great about PCs making the same sorts of terribly dangerous decisions that characters make in horror movies. A lot of fun lines, a couple of surprisingly emotional moments that I always like to see (D&D is such a great platform to explore darker/serious themes and I love it when DMs/players don't shy away from it) ... great exploration, and the introduction of the new antagonists was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for taking the time to watch, read and comment! It's really appreciated. I had fun with this story. The Infinity Tower players are awesome and always work hard to make the moments count!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment