Skip to main content

Departure: Session 12 Reflections

A player departure. Ending a story arc. Finding new hope. So many things happened this session!
First off, Kelly (@kellydoesthings) is an awesome and passionate player. She's also super busy. She has made the decision to take some pressure off of her schedule and be an occasional player on Infinity Tower. We all wish her the best and want to see her again soon!

As a DM, dealing with a player departure is a sensitive subject. We went into the session knowing that Kelly wanted an exit, so I had the goal of completing this portion of the story without making Kelly wait another week. I still wanted to tell the story of the party traveling through the Dwarven ruins but I did my best to balance.

I felt like things were a little more rushed, trying to pack things in, but didn't feel that the game was greatly impacted by this. There was an interesting change-up at the beginning when Kat (Aurora) decided to use her Rod of Rulership on the party. I really didn't see that coming! It was a fun few minutes of gameplay and sent the party in a different direction than I expected.

We completed our story arc. This could have been a little longer, resolving when the party actually reaches Eastkeep, but I think that will fit nicely into the next arc. Sean (Theophraxis) is itching to do some crafting, so I expect the next game session will have some dilated down time. That gives plenty of time to see how everyone reacts to the party's arrival and their mission.

The dwarves of Taul'Khazad are something that I've gone back and forth on as a game element. This seemed like the right time to bring them in and showcase some of the dangers of the Underdark, which is an area that really hasn't been explored in the current landscape. This is all new territory, open for future dungeon crawls.

As a pro tip for any crafty DMs, there is a very noticeable change in my energy level during the bridge scene. I painted all the bridge base terrain with spray primer. It's open cell foam, so I've been trying to really saturate the surfaces so that they don't look white still. This can look good, but it is a TERRIBLE idea to put your face right over the terrain. The paint fumes had me tearing up and my nose running instantly. Yikes. I was barely paying attention to the fight after a minute. Beware. Definitely a mistake I hope to learn from.

Overall, this was a really great session that left me thankful for all the play that we've had so far, grateful for all the people (players, producer and viewers) that give the stream life, and excited for future sessions.

Comments