Skip to main content

Session 8 Infinity Tower Reflections

This was a great session! Our biggest hangup was the technical problems that Twitch as part of Amazon was experiencing. I heard about it all day at work and it followed me to the game. Our dedicated and hard-working producer Scooter(@DiscoPreacha) spent hours working on the problem and could not connect to Twitch, but some other people had no problems at all. We did manage to stream to and record video on YouTube, so it was still a great live play session.

This session was all about story and DM challenges. My story-writing is always very flexible. Many sessions I run (not this game, but others) I don't prep at all. I let players show me what they want to play. This still informs a lot of the Infinity Tower story.

The major example was the riddle in the game. Not to spoil it for those who might watch, but the original riddle was intended to be solved by the party going back to Bayer's Cross and speaking to the wizard they encountered in jail. That had become a problem since the previous sessions made the characters unwelcome in Bayer's Cross.

My solution was to create a new storyline that embraced the words and spirit of the riddle but didn't make the players go somewhere they wanted to avoid. I really liked the final solution and felt great about the energy it brought to the game. I felt like this was a very positive session that mattered to the PCs.

The other big DM challenge this session was describing alignment and trying to advise a character with a different alignment. How does a powerful Lawful Good entity discuss morality and choice with a Chaotic Good PC? This session was my take on how that would go. I had a blast doing it but was making stuff up super hard. I also got some notes from a player afterwards that made me feel really good about how it went.

I really just want to give a ton of spoilers but I feel like I need to rewatch the episode and critique before I do.

Lastly, I was very glad that I'd gotten so much prep in for the last two weeks. Our schedule ended up with the last session just 4 days ago. I spent those days printing and painting, getting the new story under wraps.

Comments