Skip to main content

Dark Tidings: Session 15 Reflections

As a DM, I love story development. It's the best part of the game. There can be amazing combat scenes and PCs can gain incredible powers, but I'm there for the story.
Some of my favorite things that happened this game:
  • Aurora offering up people that she found irritating to a cosmic power as food.
  • Theopraxis feeling guilty about the time he spent building a party cannon while people needed protection.
  • Arven dealing with all the influences that pull at him and remaining centered.
Fiction-first gaming is a buzzword from the PbtA games and Blades in the Dark that I like to appropriate for D&D. I want the most interesting thing going on to be the story of the players, so that shapes a lot of my decisions. I still try not to break the game to the point where it's unrecognizable.

This week, we added a monk weapon: the flying guillotine.

Flying Guillotine Cost: 10gp Damage:1d6 slashing Weight: 2lb Reach
We'll give it some game flavor and say that on a crit it lands on the target's head. If that strike is lethal, it will decapitate the target.

Do we need more monk weapons out there? I actually feel pretty comfortable coming up with a range of traditional Chinese weapons if gamers need that.

This is, to my knowledge, the only monk weapon with reach. It sounds like a good thing, but that also makes it difficult to deal with a bonus unarmed strike.

I mentioned during this game some 'faction shifts'. As we get to the point where we can let viewers use their Twitch currency from Revlo, we'll let viewers add points to the factions of the Dungeonverse and affect the game environment. Otherwise, I'll just keep piling on new dark forces.

Current Faction Shifts:
Eastkeep military +
Gulthias ++

Comments