Skip to main content

No fights, just fun: Session 13 Reflections

We had a ton of changes for Session 13!

This was a recharge session after several (6) sessions outside of a city. The players have been on a long arc exploring underground, fighting monsters and doing their best to survive. Getting to Eastkeep, the starting point of the campaign, I wanted this session to be lighter, more fun and feel rewarding for the players. They've completed an important part of their recent arc - really, they're just moments from finishing it - and I wanted them to feel like they had gotten somewhere and accomplished something.

I think that having a session that is really role-play heavy, giving a chance t do shopping, crafting and general upgrading is important at points like this. The last few sessions I had noticed a real drain on player resources and a good amount of tension. I think this session gave a chance for that to relax away and let the players focus on their individual goals.

Our guest player, Kelsa (@kelsa) was absolutely great. She was a lot of fun to talk to before the game, very motivated and prepared, plus just a blast to play with. I feel like I would have liked to have more for her to do and more interaction with her in this session, which is totally on me. Still, I loved all the things she got to do and was involved with.

A huge mental shift for me this game was to try to make the 'fun parts' of the game more accessible for players. Sean and I had some discussions about firearms. I read a ton of articles on the Way of the Four Elements for monks, none of which were favorable. So two big changes to the way I'm thinking about the game:
1. I plan to let Theophraxis have a lot of ammo and make a lot of ammo. I also helped him get a firearm without a significant reload time; the gold economy is going to dictate firing that gun, but there's no reason to me that an Archetype should become totally worthless to play. The Gunslinger really relies on bullets. The concept of reloading is important, so we've still got that with the one. On the other hand, I think it's too bad if a firearm is less fun to play with then a crossbow.

2. For Way of the Four Elements, everyone who talks about the archetype online thinks that it's broken. We're going to try just letting Aurora have access to all of the Elemental Disciplines that are appropriate to her level and see how that goes. It may prove too much, but right now it's really not doing much at all.

It was also great learning about Kelsa! I found we share many game interests (Mouse Guard, Monsterhearts, Blades in the Dark), which are all games that I've looked at and read about but not yet played or run. I may even get a chance to play in a game run by Kelsa in the near future! Definitely excited by that possibility.

If you didn't see the session, check it out! There was an awesome cliffhanger at the end that may have us doing 2 different sessions (due to schedule conflicts) next week!

Comments